Twitter

Friday, March 20, 2009

Urban Graffiti ... When I was a kid


When I was a young lad growing up in NYC I was always fascinated with graffiti. In New York city it`s everywhere. On Buildings, taxis, buses, trains, sneakers...yes sneakers wherever it could fit u could see it. Some VERY good, some VERY bad, but still loved it as an art. You could not walk a block w/o hearing a RUN DMC song & seeing some sort of graffiti. As you could imagine many people had and still have a problem with this as it is destructive to many businesses appearances. The Cities expense of cleaning got to be a big problem and to this day is a criminal offense. I totally understand that and am by no means in favor of any crime. But, from an art form is what I am talking about here. I have always had a secret admiration for people who could draw let alone create beautiful art out of spray cans of paint. My art finds me looking through a lens creating something that lasts literally a fraction of a second & then it`s gone, forever!. Art is everlasting and like photography can mean different things to different people. What you like someone else thinks it`s trash, but still you like it. This "stuff" I like!

I find myself always looking for new places to photograph & one day while out I found a place that is absolutely magical to me. There, they were graffiti walls and REALLY good ones at that it brought me back to my childhood and while I stood there for what had to be an hour studying & admiring them, thinking back to my childhood with all the graffiti. Spectacular artists who express themselves through this form of art.

I plan on doing some shoots here in the very near future. It`s not for everyone, but for me it takes me back to when I was a kid. Long live graffiti and RUM DMC 

Until next time.
SC

No comments:

Blog Archive